Subject: bug#71363: 14.0.5; AUCTeX 14.05 and LaTeX Mode

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2024 17:45:45 +0200

Robert Morelli <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am reporting about some confusion as to which version of AUCTeX is
> current and stable. On the AUCTeX home page
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/), it is stated that version
> 13.3 is the current version, but the version on the GNU ELPA site is
> 14.0.5.

The home page is updated with every tarball release.  The last one was
13.3.  AUCTeX made an exception and bumped the major version number on
ELPA because of some internal changes, mostly the name of the mode.  You
can read the whole story here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2024-01/msg00002.html

> This is an inconvenience for anyone who uses automatic package updates.

Sorry for that, but this issue should be resolved soon.  FTR: 14.0.5
from ELPA is the latest stable version, devel-ELPA offers the latest
development version.

> Functionally, version 14.0.5 has at least one shortcoming that makes it
> unusable for me: invoking org-edit-special from an org-mode latex src block
> opens a buffer in latex-mode (not LaTeX-mode). This is a change from
> version 13.3.

Can you provide an example and a recipe how to reproduce this?  I don't
use this feature from Org, so I can only guess that it could help when
you customize `major-mode-remap-alist' and add the following entry to
it:

  (latex-mode . LaTeX-mode)

Usually, AUCTeX does that, but maybe it happens too late in your case.

> current state:
> ==============
> (setq
>  TeX-command-list '(("LatexMk" "latexmk %(-PDF)%S%(mode)
> %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-latexmk nil
> (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LatexMk")

>                     ("LaTeXMk" "latexmk %(latexmk-out)
> %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-format nil
> (LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help "Run LaTeXMk")))

While we're at it: AUCTeX has also built-in support for LaTeXMk.  I
don't know how you add the first entry to `TeX-command-list', but do you
want to give the built-in one a roll and see if it works as well?  TIA.

Best, Arash