Subject: bug#71356: use-package doesn't load org from elpa

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 12:15:05 +0300

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 08:11:37 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  Do you have package-install-upgrade-built-in set non-nil?  If not, can
>  you set it non-nil and try the recipe again?
> 
> Retried on an unpatched emacs master with package-install-upgrade-builtin set to t and had the same
> behaviour.

I think this is a bug.

>  As for a feature request: what exactly is the feature requested here?
>  Are you saying that use-package should automatically upgrade built-in
>  packages?  If so, I don't think this will fly, since it would mean
>  inconsistencies with package-install.
> 
> This is exactly what I would like to discuss ;-) What options do we have to allow built-in packages to be 
> upgradable from the archives?

I quoted from the Emacs manual what should be done to allow that.  If
and when use-package supports that, it's how we decided to handle
built-in packages: by default not upgraded, unless the user says to
upgrade them in one of those ways.

> A new keyword in combination with :pin so that we can cherry-pick which packages we want to actually refresh
> from elpa
> and which ones we are fine with if they are built in?

Maybe.  First we should see that use-package obeys the user option I
mentioned.