Subject: Re: bug#71343: 30.0.50; TTY frame doesn't automatically redisplay itself after having closed another frame

From: Daniel Clemente <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 13:22:45 +0000

> What do you mean by "kill the terminal running emacsclient" in step 6?

Pressing a wmii key, that closes the X window. I don' know which
signal it sends, but kill -SIGQUIT pid also reproduces this issue.

I found an easier way to reproduce it. No left/right columns needed

1. Using X (I reproduced this in wmii and icewm; more on this below)
2. emacs --fg-daemon -Q
3. I run this command twice: urxvt -e 'emacsclient' '-c' &. Now I have
2 X windows running, and emacsclient works fine in both (including
resizing the X window)
4. I go to the last one of those two
5. I press the window manager key to close the window, this kills
urxvt  with the emacsclient that's running inside
6. I see the other X window (the first one) with emacsclient inside,
but it doesn't refresh. If I resize it, black space or garbage
appears. In some rare cases it gets messy: the text of the line I'm
editing (where the cursor is) doesn't appear in the cursor line but
somewhere else, e.g. 1 line below. In those cases I need to restart
something, maybe the daemon.

> Also, since you mention the window manager, does it mean the problem
> doesn't happen with other window managers, if you start 2 emacsclient
> sessions with the same daemon and then "kill" (whatever that means)
> one of these two sessions?

I just reproduced the same in icewm.

Killing the 2nd window, and then resizing the 1st one to make it
wider, the new areas are black.

There may be some details or differences because I'm not familiar with icewm.