Subject: Re: bug#71300: [PATCH v4] doc: Document SRFI 64.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 22:35:44 +0900

Hi Tomas,

Tomas Volf <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This is an import of the 'Abstract', 'Rationale', and 'Specification'
>> sections from the upstream specification text, with some manual
>> adjustment.
>>
>> * doc/ref/srfi-modules.texi (SRFI 64): New subsection.
>
> I think important question to ask here is whether this manual section
> documents SRFI-64 or what Guile ships as SRFI-64.  Current
> implementation shipped by Guile has many quirks that do not conform to
> the specification.
>
>> +@c This SRFI 64 documentation was "snarfed" from upstream specification
>> +@c HTML document using the 'snarfi' script.
>
> Based on this I believe it describes the specification.

That's correct. It's been slightly modified in places where it said
things like "left to the implementation" and I was able to verify what
the current implementation in Guix does.

> I think either of those is fine (albeit describing the Guile's flavor
> would be preferred), but is should be stated (that the behavior

There's not really a Guile flavor; it's more like the reference
implementation flavor ;-).  The one in Guile is pretty stock.

> described by the manual does not match the implementation shipped).

I'd consider different behavior in the implementation compared to the
specification bugs.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim