Subject: Re: bug#71292: 30.0.50; macOS: .elns have no debug info

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 21:32:23 +0300

> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 20:12:45 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Then how about using -keep-temps as part of native-comp-debug = 3?
> 
> I think you mean debug >= 2?

Mo, I meant > 2.

> Anyway, debug info is also valuable when you don't have the C file, in
> the disassembly. That is for debug > 0. Otherwise you see only bare hex
> addresses and such.

Debug info and keeping the *.o files is not the same.  Keeping the *.o
files is really gross, which is why I suggested debug > 2 (as it keeps
other intermediate files).

Doesn't macOS support separate debug info, which can be created with
objcopy?  If it does, you could copy the debug info from the *.o
files, and then deleting them would not hamper debugging.