Subject: Re: bug#71290: Options for viewing project buffers

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2024 18:27:45 +0300

Hi!

On 31/05/2024 15:28, mikpom wrote:
> Greetings devs and emacs community.
> 
> I occasionally need to list buffers of a project and do so with the
> built-in command project-list-buffers from project.el. The problem is
> that this command utilizes Buffer-menu mode and does so in a hard-coded
> way. Personally I prefer IBuffer which is already heavily customized
> while I have zero knowledge of Buffer-menu mode.
> 
> I suggest to make an option whether project.el will list buffers with
> Ibuffer, Buffer-menu or even something else?

I'm happy to add a new option, but if you look at the definition of 
project-list-buffers, it's not as trivial as

  - bind default-directory
  - call function

And ibuffer seems to require some effort as well. As a consequence, the 
option is unlikely to be infinitely extensible, it would just list 
'list-buffers' and 'ibuffers' as possible values. Maybe a "Custom 
function" alternative too, but the users who would want to use it will 
need to put it some work as well.

Speaking of ibuffer in particular, here's a hint of setup required to 
use it for project buffers: 
https://github.com/emacsmirror/ibuffer-project/blob/master/ibuffer-project.el

Of course, a lot of this could be optional (improvements to make the UI 
better), so if someone wanted to contribute a minimal implementation, we 
could certainly use it (just please don't copy the code from the above, 
it's not copyright-assigned).