Subject: Re: bug#71284: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add support for outline-minor-mode to Eshell

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 09:19:52 +0300

>> The multi-line headers have such disadvantage that the outlines
>> are not compact anymore.  Also multi-line headers might have
>> more technial issues with displaying an ellipsis at the end.
>
> Given that you mentioned a few other cases where multi-line headers might
> be nice (assuming the number of lines is small), maybe it would make sense
> to see what an implementation of that looks like. I'll see about writing
> a patch for this.

It would be nice to solve this long-standing problem.

> (Another interesting thing I might try is to see if we could provide some
> custom single-line abbreviation for multi-line headers. That would let us
> have compact headers when they're collapsed, even if the "header" part is
> really multiple lines when expanded.)

Or maybe showing an outline should also show its pre-heading lines
(maybe this would require adding e.g. outline-pre-header-regexp
that matches the first line of such preface lines).

This would be especially useful in cases when there are dozens of
comment lines before the outline heading with the function name
in programming language modes.