Subject: bug#71284: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add support for outline-minor-mode to Eshell

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 18:52:15 -0700

On 6/2/2024 11:45 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> In any case, the more I think about this, the more my current patch seems
>> like the wrong way to go about this. Even just describing the user-facing
>> behavior in all scenarios is pretty complex, so I think it might be better
>> to keep it simple and have a single outline level.
>>
>> That said, for the multi-line prompt case, I wonder if it would make sense
>> for outline.el to support multi-line headers. If I could mark the entire
>> prompt + command input as a "header", then collapsing it would look better:
>> users would still see all of their input in the collapsed node.
> 
> The multi-line headers have such disadvantage that the outlines
> are not compact anymore.  Also multi-line headers might have
> more technial issues with displaying an ellipsis at the end.

Given that you mentioned a few other cases where multi-line headers 
might be nice (assuming the number of lines is small), maybe it would 
make sense to see what an implementation of that looks like. I'll see 
about writing a patch for this.

(Another interesting thing I might try is to see if we could provide 
some custom single-line abbreviation for multi-line headers. That would 
let us have compact headers when they're collapsed, even if the "header" 
part is really multiple lines when expanded.)