Subject: Re: bug#71282: 30.0.50; hl-line overlay priority has no affect

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 16:12:55 +0100

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 3:47 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Mohsin Kaleem <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 14:41:13 +0100
> >
> > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think it's a "problem".  Overlay strings have their own faces,
> and those override the faces of buffer text.

If I understand the scenario correctly, I agree with Moshin that this
is a more general issue.  There should be some way for overlays
used by a package X to easily combine with an existing an
existing background color, even if that background color is mandated
by some hl-current-line extension Y.  This mechanism shouldn't rely
on making X aware of Y.  Maybe if the implementation of Y were
moved to C display core, like display-line-numbers-mode.  Or maybe
not, I haven't looked into it (and I don't plan to, sorry).

João