Subject: Re: bug#71282: 30.0.50; hl-line overlay priority has no affect

From: Mohsin Kaleem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 12:42:41 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This is intended behavior: overlay priority affects only the text to
>> which the overlay is applied.  In the above snippet, the overlay is
>> applied to buffer text, whereas "foo" is an overlay string, and has
>> its own face information (which defaults to the face of the underlying
>> buffer text).  So the hl-line overlay's face does not affect the face
>> of the before-string.
>>
>> There's no bug here, only a well-documented behavior.  See the node
>> "Displaying Faces" in the ELisp manual for the details.
>
> I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Hi, sorry, I forgot I opened this. If it's expected behaviour is the
usage of overlays here by eglot and related packages wrong? Even if it's
expected this is the only editor I've used which has inlay hints that
override attributes like hl-line. Is there an alternative way for eglot
to support inlay hints that isn't in conflict with hl-line?

-- 
Mohsin Kaleem