Subject: bug#71282: closed (Re: bug#71282: 30.0.50; hl-line overlay priority has no affect)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 06:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71282: 30.0.50; hl-line overlay priority has no affect

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71282: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71282
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71282: 30.0.50; hl-line overlay priority has no affect
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mohsin Kaleem <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 23:10:34 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 71282 notabug
> thanks
>
>> From: Mohsin Kaleem <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 23:27:02 +0100
>>
>> Looks like there's no way to give hl-line a higher priority than other
>> text overlays.
>
> Of course there is: use the hl-line-overlay-priority option, like you
> did below.  But the problem you are trying to solve cannot be solved
> by overlay priorities, see below.
>
>> This impacts things like eglot-inlay-hints-mode or
>> overlay-error-string among other modes and has the affect of making
>> hints or annotations from these modes look out of place.
>
> Those 2 examples are not expected to be affected by the priority of
> the hl-line overlay, albeit for different reasons:
>
>   . eglot-inlay-hints-mode overlays have their priorities at 50+, and
>     these overlays display strings (so are similar to your snippet
>     below)
>   . overlay-error-string is not an overlay (despite its confusing
>     name)
>
>> I can reproduce this with something as minimal as:
>>
>> $ emacs -Q
>> $ M-:
>> (progn
>>   (setq hl-line-overlay-priority 10)
>>   (hl-line-mode)
>>   (erase-buffer)
>>   (insert ";; This buffer is for text that is not saved, and for Lisp evaluation.
>> ;; To create a file, visit it with ‘SPC f f’ and enter text in its buffer.")
>>   (let ((ov (make-overlay (+ (point-min) 2) (+ (point-min) 3))))
>>     (overlay-put ov 'before-string "foo")
>>     (overlay-put ov 'priority 5)))
>>
>> If you move the point to the first line you can see the overlay and its
>> face background completely disregards hl-lines background despite having
>> a lower priority.
>
> This is intended behavior: overlay priority affects only the text to
> which the overlay is applied.  In the above snippet, the overlay is
> applied to buffer text, whereas "foo" is an overlay string, and has
> its own face information (which defaults to the face of the underlying
> buffer text).  So the hl-line overlay's face does not affect the face
> of the before-string.
>
> There's no bug here, only a well-documented behavior.  See the node
> "Displaying Faces" in the ELisp manual for the details.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 30.0.50; hl-line overlay priority has no affect
From: Mohsin Kaleem <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 23:27:02 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there,

Looks like there's no way to give hl-line a higher priority than other
text overlays. This impacts things like eglot-inlay-hints-mode or
overlay-error-string among other modes and has the affect of making
hints or annotations from these modes look out of place. I can reproduce
this with something as minimal as:

$ emacs -Q
$ M-:
(progn
  (setq hl-line-overlay-priority 10)
  (hl-line-mode)
  (erase-buffer)
  (insert ";; This buffer is for text that is not saved, and for Lisp evaluation.
;; To create a file, visit it with ‘SPC f f’ and enter text in its buffer.")
  (let ((ov (make-overlay (+ (point-min) 2) (+ (point-min) 3))))
    (overlay-put ov 'before-string "foo")
    (overlay-put ov 'priority 5)))

If you move the point to the first line you can see the overlay and its
face background completely disregards hl-lines background despite having
a lower priority.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-05-08 built on mk-desktop
Repository revision: 840c33070dc789d5095a47fa65f4f77564cd6e59
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/mohkale/.cache/yay/emacs-git/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs-git
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed
 -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: C
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils hl-line compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run
comp-common rx straight-autoloads cl-seq cl-extra help-mode straight
cl-macs cl-loaddefs cl-lib +core-setup-paths xdg subr-x term/st
term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 135391 97166) (symbols 48 12063 45)
 (strings 32 37667 9732) (string-bytes 1 2453600) (vectors 16 17732)
 (vector-slots 8 966098 204470) (floats 8 37 12)
 (intervals 56 463 162) (buffers 992 13))

-- 
Mohsin Kaleem