Subject: Re: bug#7127: 23.2; M-x help throws an error

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 09:57:01 -0400

On 10/1/2010 10:57 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:
>
>> That's too bad.  I was hoping this would become someone else's problem.
>
> Maybe it's some temporary thing that isn't specific to Cygwin, but
> doesn't happen every time. Like I said, I have a vague memory of
> something similar for the emacs-snapshot package. I think it was:
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2590
>
> It's hard to see what could have changed between 23.1 and 23.2 to
> cause this, nor why it should go away in 24.1.
>
>>   In any case, it's easy enough to work around it.  I just
>> won't do an out-of-tree build for my future releases of emacs-23 for
>> Cygwin.  (The problem doesn't exist in emacs-24.)  And I'll go ahead
>> and do a rebuild of 23.2 for the Cygwin distribution within the next
>> few days.
>
> Great, thank you.

Before I upload the new build, I want to make sure the problem really is 
fixed.  M-x help works fine, but then I tried some of the other things 
that the OP mentioned, and I got the following results:

(symbol-function 'help-for-help-internal)
#[nil "\306\307\310!!	\203\311\312\"\210\313\314!\315 
\316 ;\317\211<=\317\211>?\320\321
\"\203<\322\323\324 \325\326O!\327\211
$\330\216\317@\241\210\331\332\333#\210\331\334\335A\336\"#\210	\203|B\337\317!)>\335C>\"\203s\335C>\">>\325H?\202\340??\340=\204\226?D=\204\226?E>\203$\341 
<\342\343!\210\344\345!\203\267\346\347 !;=\204\267\346\347 
!=\317<\317F\327G\350 \210
c\210)
\351 \210)eb\210?\352ED\353B\">\204\354?\242\354=\204\354>\355\232\203$\317\356\357\217\210\327BH\337\360\361\362d!\203\363\202\364\"!\211>\325H?*?\365=\203\317\366\335>\"\317>#\210\202\317\311\363!\210?<\203<?IBI\317\211<\202u\335>\"\211J\203r<\203T\367<!\210\317<\370J!\210=\205t=\316 
=\204k\371=!\210\317\211=\202t\372 ).\207" [line-prompt 
three-step-help help-screen local-map minor-mode-map-alist 
new-minor-mode-map-alist substitute-command-keys purecopy "Type a help 
option: [abcCdefFgiIkKlLmnprstvw.] C-[cdefmnoptw] or ?" message "%s" 
documentation ...] 7 1900136 nil]

(documentation #'help)
"Help command."

(documentation #'custom-declare-variable-early)
nil

(documentation #'when)
"If COND yields non-nil, do BODY, else return nil.
When COND yields non-nil, eval BODY forms sequentially and return
value of last one, or nil if there are none.

(fn COND BODY...)"

Do these all look OK?  (I'm worried about the first and third.)  I get 
the same results in a build from the (emacs-24) trunk.

Ken