Subject: bug#7127: 23.2; M-x help throws an error

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:30:59 -0400

On 9/30/2010 3:12 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:
>
>>> Did 23.1 have the same problem?
>>
>> No, it doesn't.  So that changes things completely.  I guess I have to
>> try a bisection to find the revision between 23.1 and 23.2 where the
>> bug first appears.  It may be a little while before I have time to do
>> this.
>
> The first thing you could try is just a straight rebuild of the 23.2
> package (if you were testing a pre-built binary). I have a vague
> memory of some transient DOC related weirdness with emacs-snapshot
> packages that just seemed to go away on its own (?). So maybe it was
> just a build glitch.

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is indeed a build glitch, but I don't 
understand what's happening yet.  If I unpack the emacs-23.2 source and 
just build it (./configure && make) the bug is gone.  But normally I 
build emacs for Cygwin by using a packaging tool called cygport, which 
(among other things) does an out-of-tree build.  I don't know if this is 
causing the problem.  My build of emacs-23.1 also used cygport and 
didn't exhibit the bug.  So I have to keep investigating.

Ken