Subject: bug#71264: 30.0.50; Dired deletion moves point under auto-revert

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2024 16:59:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii [2024-06-01 20:59 +0300] wrote:

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2024 19:19:12 +0200
>> From:  Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> I don't know how to prevent this yet.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why we need to prevent that.

I encounter this most often in my homedir: it contains ~140 subdirs and
files, meaning BOB and EOB are separated by ~2 pagefuls.  Files are
sorted by name in groups: subdirs first, then dotfiles, then the rest.
Each time some program, such as a screenshot application, stores a file
in my homedir, it appears near EOB.  And each time I delete such a file,
I lose my current position and have to scroll down 2 pagefuls again.

I understand that auto-revert-mode can come with limitations, but I
don't think this UX is right, and I imagine Dired can do better.

Thanks,
-- 
Basil