Subject: Re: bug#71259: 29.1; Tramp connection property "direct-async-process" causes job control not to work in M-x shell buffers

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 19:00:19 +0200

Alex Hutcheson via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Alex,

> Actual behavior:
>
> Shell buffer starts a shell, but shows errors at the top of the buffer:
>
> sh: cannot set terminal process group (128765): Inappropriate ioctl
> for device
> sh: no job control in this shell
>
> Shell mostly works, but job control features don't work.
> C-c C-z does nothing
> C-c C-c kills the shell, rather than the currently running job
> fg and bg give errors like:
> sh: fg: no job control

I could reproduce & fix it in recent Tramp sources. Pushed to the
repositories.

Unfortunately, the fix cannot be backported to Emacs 29 trivially. So
you might try either Emacs 30 or Tramp 2.7 from the respective git
repositories. Or you wait a little bit, until Tramp 2.7.1 appears on GNU
ELPA. Planned for end of June.

Best regards, Michael.