Subject: bug#71235: Failing test on macOS: tramp-test17-dired-with-wildcards

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 11:04:36 +0000

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>>     (executable-find "gls")
>>     => "/opt/homebrew/bin/gls"
>
> Hmm. Should we add "/opt/homebrew/bin" to the default
> tramp-remote-path? It looks very special, even on macOS.
>
> OTOH, we have directories like "/local/freeware/bin", "/local/gnu/bin",
> "/usr/freeware/bin", "/usr/pkg/bin", "/usr/contrib/bin", "/opt/bin",
> "/opt/sbin" and "/opt/local/bin" there, which are also special.

AFAIK, this is the default location where Homebrew (https://brew.sh/)
puts binaries, at least on new installations.  (The Homebrew directory
structure has changed slightly over the years, but I don't know if this
is one of them since I only noticed it those changes passing.)

I think it might make sense to add it to `tramp-remote-path`, but I'm
not familiar enough with Tramp to understand all the implications of
doing so.  I'm copying in Mattias and Gerd, who I believe are using
macOS, in case they have anything to add.