Subject: bug#71234: PATCH for auctex manual to help new users

From: Jeremy Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 20:26:50 +0100

Here is a patch for the manual to help new users enable prettify-symbols-mode

>From a6ebab7d9608f85397dc0dddb60776dd118e7ccf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jeremy Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 20:22:44 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] ; Clarify manual reference to prettify-symbols-mode

* doc/auctex.texi (Prettifying):  Spell out code required to enable
prettify-symbols-mode to help new users.
---
 doc/auctex.texi | 11 +++++++----
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/auctex.texi b/doc/auctex.texi
index f57fa752..1c2358cc 100644
--- a/doc/auctex.texi
+++ b/doc/auctex.texi
@@ -2959,10 +2959,13 @@ behaviour however you need to set
 @code{right-edge} which will unprettify the symbol when point moves into
 or near it.
 
-To enable prettification in @AUCTeX{}, simply add
-@code{prettify-symbols-mode} to @code{TeX-mode-hook}.  If you enabled
-prettification globally with @code{global-prettify-symbols-mode}, then
-it's automatically enabled in @AUCTeX{}, too.
+To enable prettification in @AUCTeX{}, simply add this to your init file:
+@lisp
+(add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook 'prettify-symbols-mode)
+@end lisp
+If you enabled prettification globally with
+@code{(global-prettify-symbols-mode)}, then it's automatically enabled in
+@AUCTeX{}, too.
 
 You can also add custom symbol unicode-character pairs for
 prettification by adding to @code{tex--prettify-symbols-alist}.  Note
-- 
2.42.0