Subject: bug#71227: closed (Re: bug#71227: 29.2; show-paren-context-when-offscreen does not show previous line for OCaml "begin" opener)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 02:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71227: 29.2; show-paren-context-when-offscreen does not show previous line for OCaml "begin" opener

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71227: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71227
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71227: 29.2; show-paren-context-when-offscreen does not show previous line for OCaml "begin" opener
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Gaëtan Gilbert <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2025 18:17:41 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 14:50:13 +0200
>> From: Gaëtan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
>>
>> eg if you make a file containing
>>
>>    let foo =
>>      begin
>>
>>      ()
>>
>>      end
>>
>> scroll so that the begin is hidden and highlight end,
>> show-paren-context-when-offscreen will only show the "begin" line but should also show the "let foo" line.
>>
>> I guess this is because "begin" is not a single character.
>>
>> Can be reproduced in emacs -Q after loading tuareg-opam.el, tuareg-compat.el and tuareg.el from https://github.com/ocaml/tuareg
>> by using tuareg-mode on the above example and setting show-paren-context-when-offscreen to your preferred non-nil value.
>
> Thanks, but shouldn't this problem be reported to the developers of
> these packages first?  Those packages are not part of Emacs and not on
> ELPA, AFAICT.

Yes, this is not a bug in Emacs.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 29.2; show-paren-context-when-offscreen does not show previous line for OCaml "begin" opener
From: Gaëtan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 14:50:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

eg if you make a file containing

   let foo =
     begin

     ()

     end

scroll so that the begin is hidden and highlight end,
show-paren-context-when-offscreen will only show the "begin" line but should also show the "let foo" line.

I guess this is because "begin" is not a single character.

Can be reproduced in emacs -Q after loading tuareg-opam.el, tuareg-compat.el and tuareg.el from https://github.com/ocaml/tuareg
by using tuareg-mode on the above example and setting show-paren-context-when-offscreen to your preferred non-nil value.

------ stuff report-emacs-bug said:

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
  cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-02-27, modified by Debian built on
  x86-ubc-02
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
  'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
  --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
  --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
  --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-29.2+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
  -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat -Werror=format-security
  -fcf-protection -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tuareg pcase find-file
tuareg-compat tuareg-opam derived skeleton flymake-proc flymake project
byte-opt compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring
thingatpt cl-loaddefs comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq
cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib smie rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117115 7416)
  (symbols 48 9114 0)
  (strings 32 26230 2538)
  (string-bytes 1 797200)
  (vectors 16 18127)
  (vector-slots 8 371815 15174)
  (floats 8 52 24)
  (intervals 56 360 0)
  (buffers 984 15))

--
Gaëtan Gilbert