Subject: bug#7121: Emacs24 crash after launching gnus

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:56:49 +0200

Emacs crash after starting gnus:

,----
| Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
| 0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
`----

system-configuration-options will follow because i send from Emacs23.

> > Looks like an entirely different kind of crash, and not related to GC.
> Yes, that only when launching gnus.
> Maybe we should open a different bug.

> Probably a good idea.  Please try to provide a traceback from a
> non-stripped binary, though, otherwise it's hard to reason about the
> possible causes.

Starting program: /home/thierry/bin/emacs-dev
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) bt full
#0  0xffffe424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
No symbol table info available.
#1  0xb6fa4726 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#2  0x08126bcb in abort () at emacs.c:427
No locals.
#3  0x081d5fe6 in wait_reading_process_output (time_limit=30, microsecs=0, read_kbd=-1, do_display=1, wait_for_cell=138404042, wait_proc=0x0,
    just_wait_proc=0) at process.c:5072
        p = 0x1
        timeout_reduced_for_timers = 1
        channel = 23633
        nfds = -1
        Available = {fds_bits = {5177376, 0 <repeats 31 times>}}
        Writeok = {fds_bits = {1048576, 0 <repeats 31 times>}}
        check_write = -1
        check_delay = <value optimized out>
        no_avail = 23633
        xerrno = 9
        proc = 0
        timeout = {tv_sec = 0, tv_usec = 124815}
        end_time = {tv_sec = 1285659732, tv_usec = 89834}
        wait_channel = -1
        got_some_input = 0
#4  0x08059ba0 in sit_for (timeout=120, reading=1, do_display=1) at dispnew.c:6107
        sec = 30
        usec = 0
#5  0x08135a19 in read_char (commandflag=1, nmaps=7, maps=0xbfffde00, prev_event=138404042, used_mouse_menu=0xbfffdf28, end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:2811
        tem0 = <value optimized out>
        delay_level = <value optimized out>
        buffer_size = <value optimized out>
        c = 138404042
        local_getcjmp = {{__jmpbuf = {0, 7, 147983544, -1073750616, 141046523, -783197292}, __mask_was_saved = 0, __saved_mask = {__val = {160936997,
                4294967295, 3221216492, 160936992, 3221216472, 136200624, 160194286, 138426250, 1, 4294967295, 3221216492, 4294967295, 3221216712,
                135858743, 160194286, 138426250, 160936997, 0 <repeats 15 times>}}}}
        save_jump = {{__jmpbuf = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}, __mask_was_saved = 0, __saved_mask = {__val = {0 <repeats 32 times>}}}}
        key_already_recorded = 0
        tem = <value optimized out>
        save = <value optimized out>
        previous_echo_area_message = 138404042
        also_record = 138404042
        reread = 0
        polling_stopped_here = <value optimized out>
        orig_kboard = 0x8776f48
#6  0x0813697c in read_key_sequence (keybuf=<value optimized out>, bufsize=<value optimized out>, prompt=<value optimized out>, dont_downcase_last=0,
    can_return_switch_frame=1, fix_current_buffer=1) at keyboard.c:9339
        interrupted_kboard = 0x8776f48
        key = <value optimized out>
        used_mouse_menu = 0
        echo_local_start = 0
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
        last_real_key_start = 0
        keys_local_start = 0
        from_string = <value optimized out>
        t = <value optimized out>
        echo_start = 0
        keys_start = 0
        nmaps = <value optimized out>
        nmaps_allocated = 7
        defs = 0xbfffddd0
        submaps = <value optimized out>
        orig_local_map = 144663438
        orig_keymap = 138404042
        localized_local_map = 0
        first_binding = <value optimized out>
        first_unbound = <value optimized out>
        mock_input = <value optimized out>
        fkey = {parent = 142173366, map = 142173366, start = 0, end = 0}
        keytran = {parent = 138391270, map = 138391270, start = 0, end = 0}
        indec = {parent = 142173374, map = 142173374, start = 0, end = 0}
        shift_translated = 0
        delayed_switch_frame = 138404042
        original_uppercase = 140573093
        original_uppercase_position = -1
        starting_buffer = <value optimized out>
        fake_prefixed_keys = 138404042
#7  0x08138a92 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1618
        cmd = <value optimized out>
        keybuf = {146098962, 436, 134550948, 1024, 38, -1229343096, -1073807358, -1208021056, 134549138, -1221260000, -1207963708, -1225275008, 38,
          -1073749892, -1208044170, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1073749988, -1073750192, 0, 110886912, 138404042, 138871946, -1207974148, -1073749948, 0, 138629200}
        i = <value optimized out>
        prev_modiff = 509
        prev_buffer = 0x98bce38
#8  0x08196511 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x81388c0 <command_loop_1>, handlers=138435026, hfun=0x8131430 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1460
        val = 0
        c = {tag = 138404042, val = 138404042, next = 0xbfffe198, gcpro = 0x0, jmp = {{__jmpbuf = {138629200, 138629200, 138629216, -1073749672, 136311547,
                -988376684}, __mask_was_saved = 0, __saved_mask = {__val = {0, 1, 3087005920, 0, 0, 0, 3221217148, 3070140845, 0, 3071000564, 0,
                  3221217616, 3221217548, 3221217560, 3087005920, 0, 3065624200, 134549864, 3086946240, 134549138, 3073707296, 3087003588, 3069696456, 38,
                  3221217340, 3086923126, 3063987652, 3069713916, 3073707360, 3221217888, 110932256, 3087003588}}}}, backlist = 0x0, handlerlist = 0x0,
          lisp_eval_depth = 0, pdlcount = 2, poll_suppress_count = 1, interrupt_input_blocked = 0, byte_stack = 0x0}
        h = {handler = 138435026, var = 138404042, chosen_clause = 1, tag = 0xbfffe074, next = 0x0}
#9  0x081310d5 in command_loop_2 (ignore=138404042) at keyboard.c:1338
        val = 0
#10 0x081965f1 in internal_catch (tag=138433098, func=0x81310b0 <command_loop_2>, arg=138404042) at eval.c:1204
        c = {tag = 138433098, val = 138404042, next = 0x0, gcpro = 0x0, jmp = {{__jmpbuf = {138629200, 138629200, 138629216, -1073749400, 136065787,
                -988501612}, __mask_was_saved = 0, __saved_mask = {__val = {3221217876, 3221218024, 135466562, 3221217888, 0 <repeats 12 times>,
                  3070131310, 0, 0, 0, 3070131310, 0, 0, 0, 138423792, 1, 138077744, 0, 14, 3221217980, 138571794, 138571792}}}}, backlist = 0x0,
          handlerlist = 0x0, lisp_eval_depth = 0, pdlcount = 2, poll_suppress_count = 1, interrupt_input_blocked = 0, byte_stack = 0x0}
#11 0x08131281 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1317
No locals.
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#12 0x0813160b in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:940
        val = <value optimized out>
#13 0x08131732 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:1002
        buffer = 138404042
#14 0x08127bb1 in main (argc=<value optimized out>, argv=<value optimized out>) at emacs.c:1712
        dummy = -1073748488
        stack_bottom_variable = 8 '\b'
        do_initial_setlocale = 138629200
        skip_args = 0
        rlim = {rlim_cur = 8388608, rlim_max = 18446744073709551615}
        no_loadup = 0
        junk = 0x0
        dname_arg = 0x0
        ch_to_dir = 0xbfffe5c8 "\370\345\377\277\351\243\037\b\004\303\v\267\364\277\v\267"

In GNU Emacs 23.2.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-09-27 on tux
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--program-suffix=-emacs-23-vcs' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-23-vcs' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--without-gconf' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--with-xft' '--without-libotf' '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--without-hesiod' '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -pipe -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
y C-x r b c r a s h <return> C-< <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n M-w 
F <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <right> <backspace> <return> 
O k SPC i SPC o p e n SPC a n o t h e r SPC b u g . 
<down> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> C-SPC C-n C-n C-d C-c C-c q q y M-x r 
e p o r t - e m a c s <return>

Recent messages:
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
No more unread newsgroups
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) 
Saving file /home/thierry/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/thierry/.newsrc
Saving /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug starttls mailalias smtpmail epa-mail gnus-fun gnus-cite
smiley mail-extr nnml gnus-ml nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache gnus-demon gnus-namazu
gnus-dired nnshimbun shimbun luna eword-encode eword-decode std11 mel
path-util mime-def mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken
pcustom poe gnus-bcklg spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg gnus-alias
imenu vc-rcs xhg-dvc xhg xhg-annotate xhg-mq xhg-log align-let server
google-maps google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json
simple-call-tree el-expectations el-mock csv2org iedit eieio-base eieio
zop-to-char elscreen-server elscreen-dired elscreen-w3m mule-util alist
pym static apel-ver product elscreen undo-tree smallurl mm-url
xml-weather rectangle-utils auto-document eiv tv-utils eldoc pcvs
pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs init-anything-thierry descbinds-anything
anything-ipython shell-history anything-complete
anything-show-completion anything-etags anything-match-plugin etags
anything-traverse anything-delicious anything-mercurial
addressbook-bookmark bzr-core cg-core xdarcs-core xgit-core xhg-core
xmtn-minimal tla smerge-mode dvc-state dvc-config dvc-diff dvc-fileinfo
diff dvc-cmenu dvc-about dvc-version dvc-revlist uniquify
anything-config w3m-bookmark rx anything firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions bookmark install-elisp
find-func mb-depth autodoc ioccur traverselisp thumb-page moz
stumpwm-mode cl-info slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp
slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-scratch slime-presentations slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-parse slime-repl slime apropos hideshow hyperspec thingatpt
slime-autoloads boxquote rect image-file newsticker newst-treeview
newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend ledger pcomplete
esh-arg esh-util lpr woman man two-column shell-command em-term term
ehelp electric esh-toggle em-xtra flymake pdbtrack pycomplete pymacs
ipython python-mode info-look ansi-color executable no-word regex-tool
whitespace htmlfontify paren time dired-tar compile dired-extension
image-dired dired-details yaoddmuse skeleton sgml-mode emms-mpd-config
emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n
emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode
emms-bookmarks emms-lastfm-client xml parse-time emms-cue
emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time
emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode
emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer emms-info emms-streams later-do
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-player-simple emms-setup emms
emms-compat winner dvc-init bzr-gnus tla-gnus xgit-gnus xhg-gnus
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view smime dig dvc-gnus tla-core pp
tla-autoconf tla-defs dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher dvc-unified dvc-tips
dired-x dired-aux ffap ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help
ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp
dvc-buffers dvc-ui dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs
dvc-site psvn log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode htmlize-hack htmlize
muse-colors muse-docbook muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex
muse-html muse-xml-common muse-wiki cus-edit cus-start cus-load
muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols muse-regexps muse
muse-nested-tags muse-mode muse-autoloads org-config-thierry org-crypt
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays
hol-loaddefs vc-hg org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-info
org-gnus org-bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-annotation-helper url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util
url-parse url-vars remember org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt
warnings bytecomp byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces
org-compat org-macs noutline outline config-w3m w3m browse-url doc-view
jka-compr image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util mime-w3m w3m-load tramp-imap
assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds
tramp shell comint ring tramp-compat trampver recentf tree-widget
savehist epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source dired
gnus-async nntp gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit info easymenu usage-memo desktop
punycode idna basic-theme edmacro kmacro eev-thierry iterator eev-all
eev-mini-steps eev-browse-url eev-langs eev-compose eev-glyphs
disp-table eev-insert eev-steps eev-bounded eev easy-mmode advice
help-fns advice-preload cl cl-19 site-gentoo w3m-wget preview-latex
tex-site auto-loads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997