Subject: Re: bug#71180: [ELPA Feature Request] Package thumbnail

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2024 02:23:36 -0700

tags 71180 - notabug
severity 71180 wishlist
thanks

"Elijah G." <[email-masked]> writes:

> Tags: notabug
>
> Hi, i'm wondering if would be a good idea add support for thumbnail for
> elpa packages (for elpa website and package-menu *Help* buffers).
> I think this is a missing feature that most other editors and non-editors
> does (such as synaptic and vscodium).
>
> My idea is to only support 1 image (jpg or png, adding more than 1
> thumbnail would be hard to read the package *Help* buffer) and resize it
> (if possible) for not take all the buffer size.
>
> For packages developers i think would be fine define new header comment
> line for let them to choose which image they want to use, something like:
> ;;; Thumbnail: ./image.png
>
> Thanks.

I think this could be a good idea, but it would also depend on how the
idea is executed.  We would obviously need knobs to turn it off, the
feature would need to be tested on text displays, etc.

Instead of a header comment, we could just say that the thumbnail should
always be called "thumb.png" and be in the root directory of the
package, or something along those lines.