Subject: bug#71178: Batch ert wrongly aborts a test run, and wrongly fails to say why.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2024 18:10:43 +0000

Hello, J.P.

On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 15:13:29 -0700, J.P. wrote:
> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

> >> I think I'd rather the test should stay there a bit longer.  It
> >> highlights problems in pcase.el and ert.el which might get fixed sooner
> >> if the test is still there.  _MIGHT_ (here's hoping!).

> > Good point. I've added a FIXME to remind myself or some future person to
> > delete the test once things have settled.

> The issue of the large pcase expansion appears to have been addressed by

>   16fc5b6c0c7 * pcase.el (\`): Try and handle large patterns better

> I have therefore deleted the offending test.

> I'm leaving this bug open because its main concern is the absence of
> adequate reporting under certain failure conditions. Thanks.

Back in the springtime, I identified the cause of my particular bug,
namely the backtrace function trying to print a copy of the too big
structure which triggered the bug in the first place.  This led to a
recursive error signalling.

Stefan Monnier amended pcase earlier on this year better to handle "big"
structures, and I think you deleted the ert test which triggered the
bug anyway.

The circumstances which triggered this bug don't seem to have occurred
in the last few months.  So it seems it is now time to close this bug.
Would you have anything against me closing it as "won't fix"?

Thanks!

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).