Subject: bug#71164: 14.0.5; Font lock annoyance

From: Derek Clegg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 18:05:53 -0700

If I don't turn on font locking when I use AUCTeX, I'm getting annoying messages almost every keystroke:

  Error during redisplay: (internal--syntax-propertize 7526) signaled (error "Font-lock trying to use keywords before setting them up”)

This appears to be triggered (at least in some cases) by this code in latex.el/LaTeX-verbatim-p:

  (if (eq TeX-install-font-lock 'font-latex-setup)
    ...

This test succeeds (since I haven't changed the value of that variable, I just haven't turned on font locking), and then the error happens.

My workaround is to turn on font locking, but I don't always want to do that. I don't want to change the default value of `TeX-install-font-lock’ since sometimes I *do* want font locking.

Thanks,
Derek Clegg

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin23.3.0)
of 2024-02-14
Package: 14.0.5

current state:
==============
(setq
AUCTeX-date "2024-05-19_09:43:32"
window-system nil
LaTeX-version "2e"
TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
		  "/Users/derek/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.5/style"
		  "/Users/derek/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/Users/derek/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
TeX-auto-save t
TeX-parse-self t
TeX-master t
TeX-command-list '(("Make" "make N=1 %s.pdf" TeX-run-command nil t :help
		     "Run “make”")
		    ("TeX"
		     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-TeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (Texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML"
		     "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (Texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX"
		     "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (AmSTeX-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ConTeXt-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode ConTeXt-mode)
		     :help "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run Biber")
		    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil
		     (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texindex")
		    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil
		     (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
		     "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
		     "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("LaTeXMk"
		     "latexmk %(latexmk-out) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %t"
		     TeX-run-format nil (LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help
		     "Run LaTeXMk")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" TeX-run-command
		     nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode
		      Texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
		     t :help "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
		     "Run an arbitrary command")
		    )
)