Subject: bug#71137: closed (Re: bug#71137: 29.3; Calc function calc-user-define-permanent broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 08:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71137: 29.3; Calc function calc-user-define-permanent broken

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71137: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71137
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71137: 29.3; Calc function calc-user-define-permanent broken
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Choi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 11:07:41 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Charles Choi <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 00:43:54 -0700
> 
> Figured it out. Z-P (calc-user-define-permanent) requires that I enter a single key binding. I was pressing RET, thinking that it would just save all user-defined functions. Apparently with calc-user-define-permanent one must explicitly specify each user-defined function to be persisted.
> 
> Please close this issue, although it would be a nice enhancement to support persisting all user-defined functions.

Closing.

Subject: 29.3; Calc function calc-user-define-permanent broken
From: Charles Choi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 12:18:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* Title
Calc function calc-user-define-permanent broken in 29.3

* Description
In Calc, invoking calc-user-define-permanent (binding "Z-P") does not persist a user-defined formula.

* Environment
Emacs: 29.3
OS: macOS 14.5, Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

* Steps to Reproduce
1. Enter "emacs -Q" on the command line.
2. Enter "M-x calc" to start Calc.
3. Enter the algebraic expression "'3 x + 7".
4. Enter "Z-F" to user-define a formula.
   1. Enter "1" for the user key.
   2. Enter "f1" for the command name.
   3. Enter RET to default use the command name ("f1").
   4. Enter RET to accept the default argument list ("(x)").
   5. Enter "y" to leave it symbolic for non-constant arguments.
5. Enter "Z-P" to make permanent (persist) the user-defined formula.

* Expected Result
The calc.el file in the Emacs init configuration directory should be modified holding the persisted user-defined formula "f1".

* Actual Result
The calc.el file is unchanged.

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-05-10 built on lcy02-amd64-031
Repository revision: 73d7d08f3f07a68b198e5ba230a474ba019e6a8a
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
 --with-native-compilation=aot --without-pgtk --with-xinput2
 --with-tree-sitter --with-json
 'CFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
 -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -isystem/build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2'
 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
 -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -isystem/build/emacs/stage/usr/include'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils calc-prog
calccomp calc-arith calc-misc calc-alg calc-ext cl-loaddefs comp
comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode
cl-lib calc-aent calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs term/tmux
term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 119889 8632)
 (symbols 48 10360 0)
 (strings 32 26639 1633)
 (string-bytes 1 717940)
 (vectors 16 15856)
 (vector-slots 8 313690 7888)
 (floats 8 34 659)
 (intervals 56 295 0)
 (buffers 984 14))

—
Charles Y. Choi, Ph.D.
[email-masked]