Subject: Re: [bug#71121] [PATCH 2/3] gnu: librewolf: Rebuild source tarball

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 21:30:07 -0400

Hi Ian,

Ian Eure <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/librewolf.scm (librewolf): This patch removes an intermediate
> step in the build chain.  The upstream source tarball is created with an
> automated build process, where Firefox sources are fetched, patched, and
> repacked.  Rather than download the output of that process, as the package has
> been, it’s now replicated within the build process, similar to how IceCat
> works.

I think I'd rather keep using a human-prepared and vetted tarball, to
avoid anything going stale in our local recipe of how it's meant to be
prepared.  It's also simpler and less maintenance, and arguably shields
the users better against non-free source code (although I don't think
there's anything non-free in the Firefox tree, so that point is more
moot than say, for linux) to use a tarball.

What do you or others think?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim