Subject: [bug#71118] [PATCH 1/5] services: nscd: ‘log-file’ defaults to #f.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 11:26:03 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> * gnu/services/base.scm (<nscd-configuration>)[log-file]: Default to #f.
>> * doc/guix.texi (Base Services): Clarify documentation.
>>
>> Change-Id: Ia75914fc2665db13bef688d53659083a615ebef4

[...]

>> +@item @code{log-file} (default: @code{#f})
>> +Name of the nscd log file.  Debugging output goes to that file when
>> +@code{debug-level} is strictly positive, or to standard error if it is
>> +@code{#f}.  Regular messages are written to syslog when
>> +@code{debug-level} is zero, regardless of the value of @code{log-file}.
>
> Is it not a bit counter-intuitive, to have a 'log-file' field that users
> can set, but debug logs not going there?

Yeah, I had to check the code of nscd in libc, and it’s this weird.

> Perhaps we should get rid of it entirely instead?

I’d rather keep it to avoid gratuitous breakage and also because it’s
occasionally useful when one needs to debug NSS/nscd issues.

Ludo’.