Subject: bug#71117: 30.0.50; output of describe-function

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 11:17:39 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 18:25:05 -0400
>> 
>> Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Thinking of e.g. 'C-h 4' (for the "other-window" connotation) or 'C-h H'
>> > (for "current _H_elp buffer"); help-find-source would then be bound to
>> > 'C-h 4 s', for example.
>> >
>> > (info-other-window currently hogs 'C-h 4 i' unfortunately… though
>> > nowadays 'C-x 4 4 i' also works, and 'C-x 4 i' is currently free 🤔
>> >
>> > 'C-x 4 h' is also free to use as a prefix, but maybe a bit of a
>> > fingerful)
>> >
>> > Don't give too much weight to my ramblings; I find 'C-h z' a bit
>> > cryptic, but I don't know that my alternatives are better.
>> 
>> I think those are actually good points, 'C-h z' is not very nice and
>> 'C-h 4 s' would be probably easier to remember as 's' has the same
>> meaning in the *Help* buffer it-self.
>
> I don't want to rebind "C-h 4 i", but "C-h 4 s" or "C-h 4 RET" should
> be good.
>
> This also needs an update in NEWS and the manual.

Okay done, please have a look as usual.

Also, we have a warning now on master because lisp/ldefs-boot.el needs
to be regenerated.  I did run admin/update_autogen but the diff is a
little bigger then I expected (is not only related to the introduced
function).  Should I commit this? Do we have another way to regenerate
ldefs-boot.el we typically use?

Thanks

  Andrea