Subject: Re: bug#71117: 30.0.50; output of describe-function

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 00:22:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 19:46:09 +0200
>> 
>> Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Now the first active button is ‘primitive-function’, which is rather basic and seldom of interest. So I have to tab twice - and by habit often get the first, wrong one...
>> >
>> > May it be possible to switch the button, like:
>> >
>> > "list is defined in ‘C source code’, a ‘primitive-function’".
>> 
>> Might you be interested in 's', bound to 'help-view-source'?
>
> Which reminds me that we still don't have a "C-h SOMETHING" binding
> that would go to the source without the need to switch to the *Help*
> buffer.  At one time we discussed something like that, and I thought
> we actually installed it, but I guess I was dreaming, because I cannot
> find it...

Were you thinking of a command that specifically targets the symbol from
a displayed *Help* buffer, so the user would do e.g.

C-h v VAR RET   ; shows *Help* for VAR
C-h SOMETHING   ; finds source for VAR

where C-h SOMETHING's implementation would do (a smarter version of)
(with-current-buffer "*Help*"
  (help-view-source))

?  Can't say I remember such a command; otherwise, I'm reminded of
find-func's find-function-setup-keys, which installs a bunch of
upper-case bindings on the C-x map (resp. C-x [45] maps) to invoke the
find-* commands (resp. find-*-other-{window,frame}).

> Any takers?