Subject: [bug#71111] [PATCH v2 1/1] services: home: Use pairs instead of lists.

From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 17:06:48 +0400

On 2024-05-23 11:16, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>>  (operating-system
>>    (services (append (list (service guix-home-service-type
>> -                                   `(("alice" ,my-home))))
>> +                                   `(("alice" . ,my-home))))
>
> What’s the rationale for this?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
After rewriting from car/cdr to match-lambda in v2 of this patch:
https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/[email-masked]/

the format changed from pairs to lists, I didn't noticed this nuance
during review because the documentation still says that service should
be configured and extended with pairs.  Also, pairs are more
apropriate data type here.  And this match-lambda rewrite will break
downstream RDE user's setups after migrating to upstreamed version of
service.

That's why I propose to go back to pairs.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

>
> In general I think we should avoid gratuitous incompatible changes.

Agree.  This API is very young, so I think it make sense to update it in
this particular case, considering rationale above.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin