Subject: 23.0.60; line movement behaviour has changed

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:15:09 +0200

Hello!

In earlier versions of GNU Emacs 23.0.60 C-n, cursor-down, C-p,  
cursor-up, processed text lines. Now the text cursor moves only  
through lines on the screen.

Example: a text line of 1000 characters in an 80 characters wide  
window consumes 13 lines on screen. To reach the next (or previous)  
line of text I'd have to press up to 13 times a cursor key or C-p or  
C-n.

C-e and C-a behave as usual.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2008-08-13 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/caml:/Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/ 
share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/ 
lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/qt4-x11/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/ 
usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb - 
gfull -H -Wno-pointer-sign -bind_at_load -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 - 
mtune=7450 -mno-powerpc64 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -fno- 
crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -I/sw/include -I/usr/local/ 
include -idirafter /usr/X11R6/include' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load - 
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/sw/lib -L/ 
usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact  
opposite.