Subject: 24.0.50; gnus does not connect to IMAP server

From: Christoph <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:21:08 -0600

This configuration setup

(setq gnus-select-method
       '(nnimap "gmail"
                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.emacs.d/.authinfo")))

(setq imap-ssl-program "openssl.exe s_client -ssl3 -quiet -connect %s:%p")

works fine in 23.2 to connect to Gmail, but does not work in 24.0.50
(rev 10163).

*Message* buffer output:
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 993 imap.gmail.com'...done
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...done

Unable to open server nnimap+gmail (), go offline? (y or n)  n
nnimap (gmail) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)  n
Couldn't open server on gmail

On 23.2 it connects fine using openssl (provided by cygwin).

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
  of 2010-09-25 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --cflags 
-IC:/Progra~2/GnuWin32/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/include 
-ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/src'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: ENU
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: cp1252
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
   ido-everywhere: t
   yas/global-mode: t
   yas/minor-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x RET g n u s <return> n n C-x b , e <backspace>
<backspace> <return> C-x C-f M-p ~ / . e C-s <return>
p l e <return> M-> C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x RET g n u s <return>
n n <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x RET r e p o r t <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
Loading vc-hg...done
Mark set
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 993 imap.gmail.com'...done
Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...done

Unable to open server nnimap+gmail (), go offline? (y or n)  n
nnimap (gmail) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)  n
Couldn't open server on gmail
call-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug vc-hg auth-source tls nnimap parse-time
netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 pgg pgg-parse pgg-def epg-config mm-view smime
password-cache dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
time-date gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr server js2-mode-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads finder-inf package re-builder dired+ dired-x
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util dired-aux ibuffer nav nav-tags python-21 python nav-bufs
anything-config warnings browse-url semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw loaddefs eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile mode-local cedet imenu bookmark pp dired rx ffap
thingatpt anything google-c-style cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs grep-o-matic grep compile
comint browse-kill-ring+ browse-kill-ring second-sel ido yasnippet
dropdown-list derived easy-mmode assoc etags-table etags ring remember
zenburn color-theme edmacro kmacro wid-edit cl cl-19 sendmail regexp-opt
reporter easymenu uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload autorevert
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)