Subject: Re: bug#71079: Bug Report: Unexpected Termination of grep Process

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 14:02:46 -0400

Joseph Joshua <[email-masked]> writes:
    $ ls -l /path/to/directory
    total 4
    -rw-r--r-- 1 user user  20 May 17 12:34 file1.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 user user  15 May 17 12:34 file2.txt
    drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 4096 May 17 12:34 subdir

Does this mean that the actual name of the directory is
/path/to/directory, or is that a placeholder for the real name?
Although that isn't likely to matter much.

And since you're running "grep -r" and grep is looking into files in
subdirectories, for completeness, what is "ls -alR"?

> 3. **Output and Errors**:
>     ```plaintext
>     $ script -c "grep -r 'specific_pattern' /path/to/directory" output.log
>     Script started, file is output.log
>     The build failed because the process exited too early. This probably
> means the system ran out of memory or someone called `kill -9` on the
> process.
>     Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERNS [FILE]...
>     Try 'grep --help' for more information.
>     Script done, file is output.log
>     ```

Can you please check whether lines containing "The build failed because
the process exited too early" or "Usage: grep" occur in any of the files
in /path/to/directory?

But as others have noted, telling us what "specific_pattern" is is
essential if we're to give you any help.

Dale