Subject: Re: bug#71049: async-shell-command ends with "Process *Async Shell Command* finished" when remote "direct-async-process"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 19:41:05 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dmitry,

> Maybe a good middle-ground solution would be to defer the reading of
> the history file until history is actually used?
>
> E.g. in my examples there was no reading of input from the user, and
> there will be many read-life scenarios like that.
>
> Perhaps commands like comint-previous-input could check whether the
> ring is not initialized yet and call comint-read-input-ring, rather
> than have this call performed eagerly at the end of shell-mode.

Perhaps. I'm not an expert in comint.el; somebody else could do such a
change.

And please note, that according to my analysis sent to Eli the other
message, half of the party (3 of 6 roundtrips) happens in shell-mode. So
we must indicate something in shell-mode, too, in order to suppress the
check for the proper history file name there.

Best regards, Michael.