Subject: Re: bug#71049: async-shell-command ends with "Process *Async Shell Command* finished" when remote "direct-async-process"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2024 16:46:56 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dmitry,

>> +The settings obey whether `shell-mode' is invoked in a remote buffer.
>> +In that case, HISTFILE is taken from the remote host, and the string is
>> +interpreted as local file name on the remote host.
>
> I think it could be used in the local case, too? If the user sets a
> global value for this variable. That could probably simplify the
> implementation.

But that's already the case. If the user option is a string, it is taken
literally as the history file name.

What I meant to say is, that the value nil always means to inspect
$HISTFILE, either local or remote. If this variable isn't set, then in
the *local* case the default settings acc to the shell type are
used. This is for backward compatibility.

Best regards, Michael.