Subject: bug#71049: closed (Re: bug#71049: async-shell-command ends with "Process *Async Shell Command* finished" when remote "direct-async-process")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2024 15:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71049: async-shell-command ends with "Process *Async Shell Command* finished" when remote "direct-async-process"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71049: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71049
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71049: async-shell-command ends with "Process *Async Shell Command* finished" when remote "direct-async-process"
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2024 18:33:37 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Eli,

On 01/06/2024 09:07, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2024 04:21:46 +0300
>> Cc:[email-masked],[email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>> How about this?
> It LGTM, but please also mention the hook issue in NEWS (something
> saying that people who had shell-mode-hook do something for async
> shell commands should now consider moving that to the hook of the new
> mode).

Thank you, pushed to master. I've tried adding something about 
shell-mode-hook, but it all feels like truisms (and it's not obvious 
that this hook should be mentioned in particular) - please feel free to 
edit to your preference.

This seems to cover the last remaining issue in this report, so with 
that I'm closing. Thanks all!

Subject: async-shell-command ends with "Process *Async Shell Command* finished" when remote "direct-async-process"
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 May 2024 03:19:00 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Previously mentioned in bug#70901.

When a Tramp connection is configured as "direct-async-process",

1. If the buffer *Async Shell Command* does not exist, invoking M-& in a 
remote buffer from that connection makes it end with

   Process *Async Shell Command* finished

The command can be simple, like 'ls' or 'echo 123'. I also see this 
added to *Messages*:

   Tramp: Inserting 
‘/ssh:[email-masked]:/home/d/dgutov/.tramp_history’...done

Which seems odd (tramp history is re-read every time like this, for some 
purpose?).

2. If the buffer such named already exists when command is invoked, then 
this doesn't happen (the output seems correct). But *Messages* says

   -l: finished.

...which is a big puzzling as well.

Also, scenario 1 (when the buffer doesn't exist yet) takes longer than 
2, but that might be a side-effect of implementation external to Tramp.