Subject: [bug#71022] [PATCH] configure.ac: Set default value for the 'prefix' variable.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2024 12:42:04 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> -When configuring Guix on a system that already has a Guix installation,
> -be sure to specify the same state directory as the existing installation
> -using the @option{--localstatedir} option of the @command{configure}
> -script (@pxref{Directory Variables, @code{localstatedir},, standards,
> -GNU Coding Standards}).  Usually, this @var{localstatedir} option is set
> -to the value @file{/var}.  The @command{configure} script protects
> -against unintended misconfiguration of @var{localstatedir} so you do not
> -inadvertently corrupt your store (@pxref{The Store}).  The configuration
> -directory should also be configured by setting the @option{--sysconfdir}
> -option to the @file{/etc} value, which is the location used by Guix to
> -store for example the access control list of authorized machines and the
> -definition of offload machines.

This information is still useful, isn't it?  It's important for people
who intend to modify these locations, such as system administrators who
might want to install things elsewhere.  Perhaps this could be rewritten
to explain why this would be a bad idea.

-- 
Ricardo