Subject: bug#7102: closed (Re: bug#7102: 23.2; Makefile fontification incorrect)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 08:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#7102: 23.2; Makefile fontification incorrect

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7102: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7102
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7102: 23.2; Makefile fontification incorrect
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 10:20:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:17:18 +0200
> Cc: Christoph <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> >> Start Emacs with `emacs -Q'.
> >> Open `gmake.defs' in `nt/' directory.
> >>> From line 99 on the rest of the file is fontified mostly as comments.
> >> Note: Removing 1 of the double quotes at the end of line 99 results in correct
> >> fontification of the buffer.
> 
> > I know nothing about this code, but since the comment in the line
> > above says that it contains a deliberate syntax error, maybe
> > makefile-mode can be forgiven for getting confused.
> 
> The problem is that makefile-mode assumes all the Makefil content
> follows the lexical rules of Make, whereas $(shell ...) does not follow
> the Make lexical rules in "...", so (as in the present case) the "..."
> may contain unmatched double quotes.  I don't actually know how the end
> of "..." is determined, tho I guess it's something like "the matching
> close-paren" probably with the possibility to escape parens
> with backslashes.

I fixed it by adding a comment line with a quote right after the
offending line (revno 101701).

Subject: 23.2; Makefile fontification incorrect
From: Christoph <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 07:52:45 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Start Emacs with `emacs -Q'.
Open `gmake.defs' in `nt/' directory.
>From line 99 on the rest of the file is fontified mostly as comments.
Note: Removing 1 of the double quotes at the end of line 99 results in correct
fontification of the buffer.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Makefile

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f d : / d e v e l <return> e m <return> e m <return> 
t r n <return> n t <return> m a k e C-s C-s C-s <return> 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v M-v M-v M-v C-v 
C-v C-x 1 C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v M-v M-v M-v M-v M-v 
M-v M-v M-v M-v M-v C-v C-v C-v M-v <down> <down> <up> 
<up> <up> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x RET r e p o 
r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/plugins/color-theme/themes/color-theme-library.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/plugins/zenburn.el (source)...done
Ido mode enabled
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/anything-c-adaptive-history...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/plugins.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading tramp...done
Loading vc-bzr...done
call-interactively: End of buffer
call-interactively: Beginning of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 pgg
pgg-parse pgg-def epg-config mm-view smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock hashcash gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr emacsbug vc-bzr sha1 hex-util make-mode
tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp
auth-source gnus-util netrc time-date shell password-cache format-spec
tramp-compat trampver warnings server re-builder dired+ dired-x
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util dired-aux ibuffer nav nav-tags python-21 python nav-bufs
anything-config browse-url semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile mode-local cedet imenu bookmark pp dired rx ffap thingatpt
anything google-c-style cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs grep-o-matic grep compile comint
browse-kill-ring+ browse-kill-ring second-sel ido yasnippet
dropdown-list derived easy-mmode assoc etags-table etags ring remember
zenburn color-theme edmacro kmacro wid-edit cl cl-19 sendmail regexp-opt
reporter easymenu uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload autorevert
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)