Subject: Re: bug#71017: fill-flowed-encode

From: Henrik Ahlgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2025 23:49:47 +0200

Henrik Ahlgren <[email-masked]> writes: 
 
> Sandra Snan <[email-masked]> writes: 
> 
>> -If DELETE-SPACE, delete RFC2646 spaces padding at the end of 
>> +If DELETE-SPACE, delete RFC3676 spaces padding at the end of 
>> lines."  (with-current-buffer (or buffer (current-buffer)) 
>> (let ((fill-column (eval fill-flowed-display-column t))) @@ 
>> -154,7 +164,7 @@ lines."  ;; Delete the newline.  (when (eq 
>> (following-char)            ?\s) (delete-char 1)) -          ;; 
>> Hack: Don't do the flowing on the signature line. +          ;; 
>> As per RFC3767: Don't do the flowing on the signature line.  

And here we have a clear example of another issue: I quoted (with 
C-c C-y) a hard-wrapped git-send-email message when replying, but 
it was soft-wrapped upon sending, making the patch nearly 
unreadable. While editing, the quoted part appeared normal. Not 
sure how to determine the correct behaviour and how to ensure it, 
but this surely isn't ideal.

The `messages-are-flowing` package has an open PR with a utility
function aimed at "hardening" the region. However, users must be 
aware of the issue and remember to manually apply the fix 
manually. Since most users don't have the package installed, and 
it apparently is no longer actively maintained (last commit was 8 
years ago), it may be beneficial to incorporate similar 
functionality directly into Emacs.