Subject: Re: bug#7101: Please reveal-mode, don't hide my overlays!

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 17:46:08 +0200

Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am I the only one that gets crazy when reveal hides the overlays
> again? At least I mostly find it very frustrating when moving around
> in a buffer that uses org-mode.
>
> I can see it is useful sometimes though I do not know how to best
> separate those times when it is useful and when it is not. So I will
> not try that.
>
> Instead in the attached patch I made the automatic hiding optional and
> add a new command for hiding

I've reworked your patch a bit (avoiding terms like "close" and
"overlay") and applied it to Emacs 28.

Stefan was concerned that having just a defcustom wouldn't be enough
here -- that auto-reveal should/could be done via a command.  That's a
good point, but I think it's quite likely that people that prefer to
have this off will set the variable from a mode hook or something, so I
think the variable itself is useful.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no