Subject: bug#7100: 24.0.50; Emacs for MS Windows cannot handle Unicode file name

From: =5ddd=5e61 =592a=4e00 <[email-masked]>( Taichi KAWABATA )
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 16:25:07 +0900

----

In MS Windows, ANSI file names are handled with fopen(), readdir(),
etc., while Unicode file names are handled with _wfopen(), _wreaddir(),
etc.

As MS Windows Emacs only uses fopen(), readdir(), etc., for handling
file names, Emacs can not handle Unicode file names.  If Windows uses
CP1252, only file names with CP1252 characters can be properly displayed
with Emacs.  (In dired, Unicode file names will be displayed as
undecipherable file name that contains tilde characters.)

On the other hand, for example, Cygwin (as of v1.7) now supports Unicode
file names, by means of UTF-8 format, thus it can handle any Windows
file names with Unix tools, such as rsync, etc.

This also implies that, the file-name output of `ls', `find' or `grep'
or other Unix tools of Cygwin can not be understood by Emacs (even if
cygwin-mount.el) is installed.

Regardless of Cygwin, I wish that if this problem would be recognized as
a bug and to be fixed in any future times.

Regards,

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  KAWABATA, Taichi  ([email-masked])