Subject: bug#7100: closed (Re: bug#7100: 24.0.50; Emacs for MS Windows cannot handle Unicode file name)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:27:05 +0000

Your bug report

#7100: 24.0.50; Emacs for MS Windows cannot handle Unicode file name

which was filed against the emacs,w32 package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7100: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7100
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7100: 24.0.50; Emacs for MS Windows cannot handle Unicode file name
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:25:55 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:25:07 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > From: =5ddd=5e61 =592a=4e00 <[email-masked]>( Taichi KAWABATA )
> > Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 16:25:07 +0900
> > Cc: 
> > 
> > As MS Windows Emacs only uses fopen(), readdir(), etc., for handling
> > file names, Emacs can not handle Unicode file names.  If Windows uses
> > CP1252, only file names with CP1252 characters can be properly displayed
> > with Emacs.  (In dired, Unicode file names will be displayed as
> > undecipherable file name that contains tilde characters.)
> 
> This is currently a missing feature in the Windows build of Emacs.
> Patches are most welcome.

Since no one stepped forward with the patches, I did it myself.

Starting with trunk revision 115490, Emacs on Windows can access file
names whose names include characters outside of the current ANSI
codepage.

Subject: 24.0.50; Emacs for MS Windows cannot handle Unicode file name
From: =5ddd=5e61 =592a=4e00 <[email-masked]>( Taichi KAWABATA )
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 16:25:07 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

----

In MS Windows, ANSI file names are handled with fopen(), readdir(),
etc., while Unicode file names are handled with _wfopen(), _wreaddir(),
etc.

As MS Windows Emacs only uses fopen(), readdir(), etc., for handling
file names, Emacs can not handle Unicode file names.  If Windows uses
CP1252, only file names with CP1252 characters can be properly displayed
with Emacs.  (In dired, Unicode file names will be displayed as
undecipherable file name that contains tilde characters.)

On the other hand, for example, Cygwin (as of v1.7) now supports Unicode
file names, by means of UTF-8 format, thus it can handle any Windows
file names with Unix tools, such as rsync, etc.

This also implies that, the file-name output of `ls', `find' or `grep'
or other Unix tools of Cygwin can not be understood by Emacs (even if
cygwin-mount.el) is installed.

Regardless of Cygwin, I wish that if this problem would be recognized as
a bug and to be fixed in any future times.

Regards,

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  KAWABATA, Taichi  ([email-masked])