Subject: bug#70987: closed (Re: bug#70987: 29.2; Zip nested in tar, members do not open)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 12:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#70987: 29.2; Zip nested in tar, members do not open  

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70987: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70987
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70987: 29.2; Zip nested in tar, members do not open
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 15:30:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 11:50:00 +0200
> 
> Hi Eli, Andrea,
> 
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> > Does the patch below give good results?
> 
> Yes, that works for the testcase and also for my orginal use case.  Just
> for fun I also tried with more nesting and that worked, too.
> 
> Thank you very much,

Thanks, installed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.2; Zip nested in tar, members do not open
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 18:26:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Create a zip file wrapped in a tar file.  E.g. in a shell do:

  $ zip -j zipped /etc/passwd
  $ tar cvzf tarred.tar.gz zipped.zip

In Emacs

  * C-x C-f tarred.tar.gz RET
  * RET on zipped.zip
  * RET on passwd
  * Error: unzip:  cannot find or open tarred.tar.gz!./zipped.zip, ...

Note that tars nested in tars or zips nested in zips do work.

----

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-02-11 built on arrian
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation=yes'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  comint-fontify-input-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/Projects/ttf-mode/arc-mode-compat hides ~/emacs/arc-mode-compat
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20231019.1421/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/transient
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/soap-client
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-20201001.1727/dictionary hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tabify help-fns pulse xref cl-print edebug debug
backtrace checkdoc flymake-proc flymake project display-line-numbers
pcmpl-gnu pcmpl-unix sh-script smie treesit executable benny-images
dirtrack files-x shell tar-mode ttf-glyphs rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode
facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok ttf-mode arc-mode-compat arc-mode
archive-mode dired-aux binhex nndoc org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree generator oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat
org-macs smerge-mode diff gnus-kill misearch multi-isearch benny-nitter
eww xdg url-queue thingatpt man flow-fill sort smiley gnus-cite
shr-color color mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup gnus-ml pp
gnus-topic jka-compr mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth qp
nndraft nnmh nnfolder network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg pop3 gnus-group gnus-undo nnrss dom mm-url bbdb-com crm
bbdb bbdb-site timezone gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx imenu view mule-util desktop
frameset highline benny-calendar-cfg ange-ftp generic-x autoinsert
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-styles cc-align cc-cmds cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ps-print ps-print-loaddefs lpr advice cl-extra help-mode
dired dired-loaddefs derived benny-x-clipboard disp-table time server
protbuf xclip term/xterm xterm xt-mouse cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays holiday-loaddefs vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs delsel grep compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring cua-base cus-load format-spec battery dbus xml
.loaddefs benny-tools autoload loaddefs-gen radix-tree lisp-mnt
bbdb-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads elpher-autoloads enwc-autoloads graphql-autoloads
graphql-mode-autoloads jsonian-autoloads lsp-java-autoloads
dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads
lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads f-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
markdown-preview-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads monky-autoloads
nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads osm-autoloads request-autoloads
sly-autoloads soap-client-autoloads sql-indent-autoloads
sqlup-mode-autoloads telega-autoloads transient-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads
hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads
s-autoloads dash-autoloads vc-fossil-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads websocket-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
x509-mode-autoloads info compat-autoloads xclip-autoloads yaml-autoloads
yaml-imenu-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 979719 119466)
 (symbols 48 38017 5)
 (strings 32 290034 14510)
 (string-bytes 1 9105078)
 (vectors 16 171263)
 (vector-slots 8 2565530 106611)
 (floats 8 1369 814)
 (intervals 56 99986 511)
 (buffers 976 40))