Subject: bug#70987: 29.2; Zip nested in tar, members do not open

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 18:26:19 +0200

Create a zip file wrapped in a tar file.  E.g. in a shell do:

  $ zip -j zipped /etc/passwd
  $ tar cvzf tarred.tar.gz zipped.zip

In Emacs

  * C-x C-f tarred.tar.gz RET
  * RET on zipped.zip
  * RET on passwd
  * Error: unzip:  cannot find or open tarred.tar.gz!./zipped.zip, ...

Note that tars nested in tars or zips nested in zips do work.

----

In GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-02-11 built on arrian
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation=yes'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  comint-fontify-input-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/Projects/ttf-mode/arc-mode-compat hides ~/emacs/arc-mode-compat
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20231019.1421/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/transient
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/soap-client
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/benny/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-20201001.1727/dictionary hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tabify help-fns pulse xref cl-print edebug debug
backtrace checkdoc flymake-proc flymake project display-line-numbers
pcmpl-gnu pcmpl-unix sh-script smie treesit executable benny-images
dirtrack files-x shell tar-mode ttf-glyphs rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode
facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok ttf-mode arc-mode-compat arc-mode
archive-mode dired-aux binhex nndoc org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree generator oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat
org-macs smerge-mode diff gnus-kill misearch multi-isearch benny-nitter
eww xdg url-queue thingatpt man flow-fill sort smiley gnus-cite
shr-color color mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup gnus-ml pp
gnus-topic jka-compr mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth qp
nndraft nnmh nnfolder network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg pop3 gnus-group gnus-undo nnrss dom mm-url bbdb-com crm
bbdb bbdb-site timezone gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx imenu view mule-util desktop
frameset highline benny-calendar-cfg ange-ftp generic-x autoinsert
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-styles cc-align cc-cmds cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ps-print ps-print-loaddefs lpr advice cl-extra help-mode
dired dired-loaddefs derived benny-x-clipboard disp-table time server
protbuf xclip term/xterm xterm xt-mouse cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays holiday-loaddefs vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs delsel grep compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring cua-base cus-load format-spec battery dbus xml
.loaddefs benny-tools autoload loaddefs-gen radix-tree lisp-mnt
bbdb-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads elpher-autoloads enwc-autoloads graphql-autoloads
graphql-mode-autoloads jsonian-autoloads lsp-java-autoloads
dap-mode-autoloads lsp-docker-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads
lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads f-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
markdown-preview-mode-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads monky-autoloads
nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads osm-autoloads request-autoloads
sly-autoloads soap-client-autoloads sql-indent-autoloads
sqlup-mode-autoloads telega-autoloads transient-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads
hydra-autoloads pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads
s-autoloads dash-autoloads vc-fossil-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads websocket-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
x509-mode-autoloads info compat-autoloads xclip-autoloads yaml-autoloads
yaml-imenu-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 979719 119466)
 (symbols 48 38017 5)
 (strings 32 290034 14510)
 (string-bytes 1 9105078)
 (vectors 16 171263)
 (vector-slots 8 2565530 106611)
 (floats 8 1369 814)
 (intervals 56 99986 511)
 (buffers 976 40))