Subject: Re: bug#70982: test suite failures on OpenBSD

From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2024 18:59:34 +0200

Hi Bruno,

>>> On one hand, when you say "only on OpenBSD", it reminds me of the problem
>>> that I have seen repeatedly on OpenBSD over the last years (e.g. with
>>> GNU libunistring, when built without --disable-shared): If I have an
>>> older version of GNU libunistring installed (in the directory specified
>>> through --prefix), when building a newer version of GNU libunistring
>>> (i.e. "make && make check") the "make check" part fails because it
>>> apparently uses the older version. Whereas "make && make install && make check"
>>> succeeds. OpenBSD is the only ELF platform on which this 'make install'
>>> before 'make check' is (or used to be) needed.
>>
>> I believe this would also be an issue in NetBSD ELF versions, but I have
>> not verified with libtool's testsuite.
> 
> I haven't been able to reproduce said problem on OpenBSD (tried OpenBSD 6.0
> and 7.6), nor on NetBSD 10.0. So, at least for the usual / simple cases,
> there's nothing to worry about.

Thank you for trying to test this issue. I agree that this should not be
an issue on NetBSD 10.0 [1], even though ldconfig is still available for
use. For OpenBSD, version 7.6 has been added to the CI [2], and it
exhibits the same behaviour as version 7.5. Until the finish_cmds for
OpenBSD are removed or updated sufficiently, the --reorder-cache [3] and
--no-finish [4] commands should be useful for development and testing of
shared libraries for these unusual / complex cases that libtool's 'Use
local version' test demonstrates.

[1] https://www.netbsd.org/docs/elf.html#elf-ldconfig
[2] https://github.com/gnu-libtool/ci-check/actions/runs/11896549018
[3] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?h=development&id=0a1e894220521e5955371eea5408fd6f7a5149c1
[4] 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?h=development&id=92725b31ebf2d4eb182ca9dba4692778191e0aaf

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354