Subject: bug#70982: test suite failures on OpenBSD

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2024 17:54:56 +0100

Hi Ileana,

> > On one hand, when you say "only on OpenBSD", it reminds me of the problem
> > that I have seen repeatedly on OpenBSD over the last years (e.g. with
> > GNU libunistring, when built without --disable-shared): If I have an
> > older version of GNU libunistring installed (in the directory specified
> > through --prefix), when building a newer version of GNU libunistring
> > (i.e. "make && make check") the "make check" part fails because it
> > apparently uses the older version. Whereas "make && make install && make check"
> > succeeds. OpenBSD is the only ELF platform on which this 'make install'
> > before 'make check' is (or used to be) needed.
> 
> I believe this would also be an issue in NetBSD ELF versions, but I have
> not verified with libtool's testsuite.

I haven't been able to reproduce said problem on OpenBSD (tried OpenBSD 6.0
and 7.6), nor on NetBSD 10.0. So, at least for the usual / simple cases,
there's nothing to worry about.

Bruno