Subject: Re: bug#70978: test suite failures on NetBSD

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 09:05:33 +0100

Hi Ileana,

Ileana Dumitrescu wrote:
> I have applied a patch to the development branch [1] that resolves test
> failure 61, currently 63: passing CXX flags through libtool.

This patch does not look right: It replaces an option sequence

  --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed -lgcc -lc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed -lgcc

that has balanced uses of --as-needed/--no-as-needed with an option sequence

  --as-needed -lgcc_s

that leaves --as-needed in effect for the later linker options.

> For the test-option-parser.sh failure, I have applied a patch [2] on
> github to skip testing the 'ksh' shell on NetBSD. stdout from a child
> 'ksh' shell is not redirecting properly to the parent shell.

Oh yeah. This particular bug was unknown to me. But 'ksh' has a long-
standing reputation of being buggy. (Maybe because it was long used
by proprietary systems, which did not have bug trackers like modern
distros have?)

Bruno