Subject: Re: bug#70968: 29.2.50; choose-completion on an emacs22-style completion deletes text after point

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 03:08:56 +0300

On 16/05/2024 21:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I don't think that would be required exactly.
>>
>> The problem here (IIUC) is that completion behaves differently with the
>> emacs22 style depending on whether the execution path went through
>> choose-completion (which is not a method of completion style but a
>> common subroutine) or not (when completion--do-completion performed
>> expansion).
> I understand that much.  But what did these two (or their
> then-equivalents) do in Emacs 22 and Emacs 23?

I'm guessing they behaved incorrectly (or however we want to call the 
inconsistent behavior), but I don't have a compiled Emacs 22/23 around, 
and they might be difficult to build.

Note that we fixed bug#48356 not too long ago, which is from the same 
general area, and it probably originated from before Emacs 22/23 too.

It's worth looking for edge cases where we'd strongly prefer the current 
behavior, and they might exist, but so far I only know of situations 
where the change would be for the better, or the user might be okay with 
either (example at the end of https://debbugs.gnu.org/72705#35).