Subject: bug#70930: closed (Re: bug#70930: 29.3; emacs gives warning on startup)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 02:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#70930: 29.3; emacs gives warning on startup

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70930: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70930
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70930: 29.3; emacs gives warning on startup
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: Robert Thompson <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2025 18:31:17 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 22:27:44 +0000 (UTC)
>> From:  Robert Thompson via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Starting 'emacs', even 'emacs -Q', from the command line (eg a Terminal session) now gives
>> the following warning:
>> You are trying to run Emacs configured with the
>> "pure-GTK" interface under the X Windows System. That confituration is
>> unsupported and will lead to sporadic crashes during transfer of large
>> selection data. It will also lead to various problems with keyboard
>> input.
>> Install emacs-gtk+x11 or emacs-lucid package.
>>
>> But the packages are already installed:
>> $ sudo dnf install emacs-lucid
>> Fedora Core 40 - x86_64 - ATrpms                              0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:00
>> Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'atrpms': repomd.xml parser error: Parse error at line: 1
>> (Document is empty
>> )
>> Ignoring repositories: atrpms
>> Last metadata expiration check: 2:39:08 ago on Mon 13 May 2024 12:32:09 PM PDT.
>> Package emacs-lucid-1:29.3-6.fc40.x86_64 is already installed.
>> Dependencies resolved.
>> Nothing to do.
>> Complete!
>> $ sudo dnf install emacs-gtk+x11
>> Fedora Core 40 - x86_64 - ATrpms                              0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:00
>> Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'atrpms': repomd.xml parser error: Parse error at line: 1
>> (Document is empty
>> )
>> Ignoring repositories: atrpms
>> Last metadata expiration check: 2:40:57 ago on Mon 13 May 2024 12:32:09 PM PDT.
>> Package emacs-gtk+x11-1:29.3-6.fc40.x86_64 is already installed.
>> Dependencies resolved.
>> Nothing to do.
>> Complete!
>>
>> This started after I upgraded to Fedora Linus 40 (Workstation Edition)
>> Linux alfie 6.7.10-200.fc39.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Mar 18 18:56:52 UTC 2024 x86_64
>> GNU/Linux
>>
>> Help?
>
> I think you should raise this issue with the maintainers of the Fedora
> distro.  We here don't know how Fedora organizes the packaging of the
> various variants of Emacs it distributes.
>
> Thanks.

Indeed, this is not a bug in Emacs.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 29.3; emacs gives warning on startup
From: Robert Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 22:27:44 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Starting 'emacs', even 'emacs -Q', from the command line (eg a Terminal session) now givesthe following warning:
You are trying to run Emacs configured with the
"pure-GTK" interface under the X Windows System. That confituration is
unsupported and will lead to sporadic crashes during transfer of large
selection data. It will also lead to various problems with keyboard
input.
Install emacs-gtk+x11 or emacs-lucid package.

But the packages are already installed:
$ sudo dnf install emacs-lucid
Fedora Core 40 - x86_64 - ATrpms                              0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:00    
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'atrpms': repomd.xml parser error: Parse error at line: 1 (Document is empty
)
Ignoring repositories: atrpms
Last metadata expiration check: 2:39:08 ago on Mon 13 May 2024 12:32:09 PM PDT.
Package emacs-lucid-1:29.3-6.fc40.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
$ sudo dnf install emacs-gtk+x11
Fedora Core 40 - x86_64 - ATrpms                              0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:00    
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'atrpms': repomd.xml parser error: Parse error at line: 1 (Document is empty
)
Ignoring repositories: atrpms
Last metadata expiration check: 2:40:57 ago on Mon 13 May 2024 12:32:09 PM PDT.
Package emacs-gtk+x11-1:29.3-6.fc40.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

This started after I upgraded to Fedora Linus 40 (Workstation Edition)
Linux alfie 6.7.10-200.fc39.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Mar 18 18:56:52 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Help?

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-04-25 built on
 cabaf4098b994f6da8ef60f3f6652faa
System Description: Fedora Linux 40 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-cairo --with-dbus --with-gif
 --with-gpm=no --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-png --with-rsvg
 --with-sqlite3 --with-tiff --with-tree-sitter --with-webp --with-xpm
 --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib mule-util jka-compr info rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 88065 7278)
 (symbols 48 7462 0)
 (strings 32 23386 2623)
 (string-bytes 1 661792)
 (vectors 16 16249)
 (vector-slots 8 338867 12733)
 (floats 8 33 48)
 (intervals 56 575 0)
 (buffers 984 12))