Subject: bug#70930: 29.3; emacs gives warning on startup

From: Dave Marquardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 07:54:42 -0500

Robert Thompson via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Starting 'emacs', even 'emacs -Q', from the command line (eg a Terminal session) now gives
> the following warning:
> You are trying to run Emacs configured with the
> "pure-GTK" interface under the X Windows System. That confituration is
> unsupported and will lead to sporadic crashes during transfer of large
> selection data. It will also lead to various problems with keyboard
> input.
> Install emacs-gtk+x11 or emacs-lucid package.
>
> But the packages are already installed:

> This started after I upgraded to Fedora Linus 40 (Workstation Edition)
> Linux alfie 6.7.10-200.fc39.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Mar 18 18:56:52 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I found the same. I ended up running

  sudo alternatives --config emacs

to set which Emacs gets used.

-Dave