Subject: bug#70921: libtool-2.5.0 released [alpha]

From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 22:10:41 +0300

Libtoolers!

The Libtool Team is pleased to announce the release of libtool 2.5.0, a 
alpha release.

GNU Libtool hides the complexity of using shared libraries behind a
consistent, portable interface. GNU Libtool ships with GNU libltdl, which
hides the complexity of loading dynamic runtime libraries (modules)
behind a consistent, portable interface.

Here is the announcement on Savannah:
     https://savannah.gnu.org/news/?id=10631

There have been 91 commits by 29 people in the 113 weeks since 2.4.7.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

   Albert Chu (1)
   Alex Ameen (3)
   Antonin Décimo (3)
   Brad Smith (2)
   Bruno Haible (2)
   Dmitry Antipov (1)
   Florian Weimer (1)
   Gilles Gouaillardet (1)
   Ileana Dumitrescu (24)
   Jakub Wilk (1)
   Jonathan Wakely (2)
   Manoj Gupta (1)
   Mike Frysinger (23)
   Mingli Yu (2)
   Oliver Kiddle (1)
   Olly Betts (1)
   Ozkan Sezer (2)
   Paul Eggert (2)
   Paul Green (1)
   Raul E Rangel (1)
   Richard Purdie (5)
   Sam James (4)
   Samuel Thibault (1)
   Stephen Webb (1)
   Tijl Coosemans (1)
   Tim Rice (1)
   Uwe Kleine-König (1)
   Vadim Zeitlin (1)
   Xiang.Lin (1)

Ileana
  [on behalf of the libtool maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU libtool home page:
     https://gnu.org/s/libtool/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
   https://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.5.0
or run this command from a git-cloned libtool directory:
   git shortlog v2.4.7..v2.5.0

Here are the compressed sources:
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.0.tar.gz   (1.9MB)
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.0.tar.xz   (1008KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures:
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.0.tar.gz.sig
   https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.5.0.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
   https://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

Here are the SHA1 and SHA256 checksums:

   fb3ab5907115b16bf12a0d3d424c79cb0003d02e  libtool-2.5.0.tar.gz
   1DjDF0VdhVVM4vmYvkiGb9QM/L+DTWCzAm9PwO1YPSM=  libtool-2.5.0.tar.gz
   70e2dd113a9460c279df01b2eee319adb99ee998  libtool-2.5.0.tar.xz
   fhDMhjgj1AjsX/6kHUPDckqgiBZldXljydsL77LIecw=  libtool-2.5.0.tar.xz

Verify the base64 SHA256 checksum with cksum -a sha256 --check
from coreutils-9.2 or OpenBSD's cksum since 2007.

Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

   gpg --verify libtool-2.5.0.tar.gz.sig

The signature should match the fingerprint of the following key:

   pub   rsa4096 2021-09-23 [SC]
         FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22  B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354
   uid   Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
   uid   Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
or that public key has expired, try the following commands to retrieve
or refresh it, and then rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

   gpg --locate-external-key [email-masked]

   gpg --recv-keys 6570EA01146F7354

   wget -q -O- 
'https://savannah.gnu.org/project/release-gpgkeys.php?group=libtool&download=1' 
| gpg --import -

As a last resort to find the key, you can try the official GNU
keyring:

   wget -q https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-keyring.gpg
   gpg --keyring gnu-keyring.gpg --verify libtool-2.5.0.tar.gz.sig

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
   Autoconf 2.72e
   Automake 1.16.5
   Gnulib v0.1-6995-g29d705ead1

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.5.0 (2024-05-13) [alpha]

** New features:

   - Pass '-fdiagnostics-color', '-frecord-gcc-switches',
     '-fno-sanitize*', '-Werror', and 'prefix-map' flags.

   - Pass the '-no-canonical-prefixes' linker flag.

   - Pass '-fopenmp=*' for Clang to allow choosing between libgomp and
     libomp.

   - Pass '-shared-libsan', '-static-libsan', 'rtlib=*', and
     'unwindlib=*' for Clang.

   - Expanded process.h inclusion on Windows for more than the
     proprietary MSVC compiler. Other alternative Windows compilers
     also require process.h.

   - Pass 'elf32_x86_64' and 'elf64_x86_64' to the linker on hurd-amd64.

   - Recognize *-*-windows* config triplets.

** Important incompatible changes:

   - Removed test_compile from command line options.

   - By default executables are created with the RUNPATH property for
     the Android linker. RUNPATH works for libraries which are not
     installed in system locations.

   - Removed AC_PROG_SED fallback, as the macro has been supported
     in Autoconf since the 90's.

** Bug fixes:

   - Check for space after -l, -L, and -R linker flags.

   - Updated documentation for tests, the demo directory, and
     elsewhere.

   - Fixed Solaris 11 builds.

   - Clean trailing "/" from sysroot path.

   - Fixed shared library builds for System V.

   - Added mingw to the list of systems not requiring libm.

   - Fixed support for nios2 systems.

   - Fixed linker check for '--whole-archive' support for linkers other
     than ld.

   - Use -Fe instead of -o with MSVC to avoid deprecation warnings.

   - Improved reproducibility of libtool scripts.

   - Avoided MinGW warning by adding CRTIMP.

   - Improved grep portability.

   - Fixed cross-building warnings when checking for file.

** Changes in supported systems or compilers:

   - Removed support for bitrig (*-*-bitrig*).

   - Added support for flang (Fortran LLVM-based) compilers.

Enjoy!

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354