Subject: bug#70914: 29.3; Crashes often on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 21:53:07 +0300

> From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 20:21:36 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
>     (process:13240): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 20:15:06.678: Unexpectedly,
> UWP app `Microsoft.OutlookForWindows_1.2023.1101.300_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe'
> (AUMId `Microsoft.OutlookForWindows_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.OutlookforWindows')
> supports 1 extensions but has no verbs

What are these warnings from Glib, and why should Emacs care about
problems with Outlook?

>     gdb: Target exception EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x0
> 
>     Thread 1 received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>     0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

That exception says that Emacs somehow tried to execute code at
address zero, which is invalid.  It fits the fact that the stack shows
zero address.

But how did that zero address end up there in the first place?

IME, Defender is not a problem, but FTR I have excluded the eln-cache
and the directories where the preloaded *.eln files live from
Defender's scans (for speed, mostly -- I don't think I had any false
alarms for those files).

Did you say you see these problems on other machines as well?  If not,
I'd suspect something basic, like hardware problem.  I again suggest
to review all the software installed there, maybe something will stand
out.

And I note that when it crashes, there's always at least one reader
thread which waits for output from a subprocess.